Term Paper Guidelines
The guidelines may be a little different for your class——this will give you something to think about….
- The term paper is an exploration of a facet of the world of art. Pursue something you find fascinating to study and research.
- The term paper is a research paper whereby each student selects a subject to pursue with research from printed works, articles and databases, and of the internet. The paper contains documentation as to where the source of the factual data originates.
- An outline of the paper is prepared and given to the instructor as a hardcopy a month in advance of the due date. Describe the idea of the paper. A paper without a preliminary outline will not be accepted.
- The complete paper is due prior to the end of the semester. The paper is delivered in person during class time as a printed document. The document follows the guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style or that of the Modern Language Association.
- The paper is worth about 15% of the total points –more or less depending on quality, commitment and completion. Please refer to the section on grading in the syllabus.
- The paper is 5 pages in length and follows in detail the formatting standards.
(For Art History majors please note that the Chicago Manual of Style is usually employed)
- The paper is a college level investigation with factual data accumulated and embodied within the writing. The paper is cyclical in that it introduces the topic and returns via a body of thought and a conclusion. A thesis is a central component of the work.
- Develop an idea and defend your thoughts with research data, facts, quoted sources in the paper, and critical insight.
Preliminary meeting with the instructor
Paper as a hardcopy neatly constructed and on time
Overall correct formatting (Chicago or MLA) including documentation
In text quotes, referencing of sources, citations or footnotes (see Chicago or MLA)
Development of an original idea
Quality of writing with a logical thought process, intro, thesis, body, and conclusion
Writing a college paper is a very important part of your intellectual growth. Enjoy the process!