Who We Are
Our program is designed to assist current or former foster youth whose dependency was established or continued by the court on or after a student’s 16th birthday. The CAFYES program assists qualified students in balancing their needs with financial assistance and additional support services.
CAFYES is a “resurrected” program under EOPS for current or former foster youth. The mission of CAFYES is to provide additional services and support to eligible current or former foster youth.
• Be EOP/S eligible
• Be enrolled in at least 9 units
• Have dependency established or continued by the court on or after your 16th birthday in Alameda County. However, there are some exceptions to the rule.
• No older than 25 years of age at the beginning of the academic year.
A current or former foster youth in California whose dependency was established or continued by the court on or after the youth’s 16th birthday.
***Must provide ONE of the following documents to verify foster dependency status***
• Verification in writing from the county child welfare agency. or
• Verification in writing from county independent living program. or
• Verification in writing from the county probation agency.
• Verification in writing (form) from the California Department of Social Services Foster Care Ombudsman. In addition to the above, you also must meet the criteria below:
• No older than 25 years of age at the commencement of any academic year in which she or he participates in CAFYES.
• EOPS Eligible.
• CAFYES student may be enrolled in 9 units at the time of acceptance (not 12 units).
• DSPS students may enroll in less units per semester with verification from DSPS.
Step 1: Bring a copy of one the Foster Youth verifications listed above to the EOPS Office.
Step 2: Sign-up and attend an EOPS Orientation.
Step 3: Attend CAFYES Orientation.
Please stop by the EOPS office for more information and come meet the EOPS/CAFYES Staff.
Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Education Support (CAFYES)
Fall 2016 – 17 Hours
CAFYES Program Director
Monday – Wednesday – Friday: 9:30-3:30pm
CAFYES Program Assistant
Monday and Friday: 8:30 – 4:00pm